Planet Four Talk

Unexplained! What is this?

• Paul_Johnson by Paul_Johnson

Wht do the scientists say? it's very interesting!

APF00009ju

Posted

• arfon by arfon

Not sure! You can see the original large image here: http://hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu/download/PDS/EXTRAS/RDR/ESP/ORB_011300_011399/ESP_011348_0950/ESP_011348_0950_RGB.NOMAP.JP2

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

I thought, I repeat myself here too:
    It's very hard to understand what this is when it's covered by ice and maybe dusty fan. We have not observed this feature at the time when there is no ice cover. I have just put new request to do so, hopefully we will have a look at it soon.
    Anya

Posted

Many thanks Anya, I'm thinking it looks like the cone of a gas eruption, with black material falling to the right (I think I see a white gas jet on the same side). I hope it is, it is by far the most exciting pic of the bunch.....so far!

Posted

• Rockykrys by Rockykrys in response to Portyankina's comment.

Hi, could you tell me how thick you would expect the ice to be here? Also, could a rock protruding from the surface underneath the ice cause a weakness in the ice resulting in a conical crater? Maybe with a glimpse of the tip of the rock inside the crater, partly obscured by the gas jet and its debris?

Posted

• pocketmoon by pocketmoon in response to arfon's comment.

'rotated ;)

Posted

• jellyhead by jellyhead

a spider is born?

Posted

Great image Pocket, got one just like it on my desktop!

What a great anomaly this is!

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist in response to Rockykrys's comment.

Ice layer is not more than a meter, most probable 1/2m. Can not say more precise.
    If we get ice-free image, we might be able to clear up if your hypothesis is correct. It's not impossible 😃
    Anya

Posted