Planet Four Talk

These do not seem to be channels at all but raised ridges

• chrisbayes by chrisbayes

according to the blog entry

‘Spiders’ are visible in the winter when ice is draped over them, but when the terrain is ice-free in the summer, we can see that the ‘spiders’ are actually channels carved into the surface of Mars.

but these do not seem like channels at all but more like raised ridges.

i know about the hollow face illusion and it could be that these are channels but having looked at loads of these images now they look more and more like raised ridges

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

It's an illumination effect that makes them look raised. By shadow measurements and stereo imaging we know they are depressions rather than raised ridges on the surface. This has press release from a few years ago shows some of the shadow measurements.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

in this image it looks like the ridges are illuminated from the left and cast a shadow over the veins that run horizontally right.

they also seem to cast a soft shadow over the flat area to the right

if this was being illuminated from the right so that the left side of the 'channel' was illuminated then there would be a sharp edge to the shadow on the right side and not a soft edge

Posted

• spooks34 by spooks34

They do look raised and not carved....strange almost like gas pressure under a thin
    stretchy layer! Hey but im no expert...

Posted

thanks mschwamb, i posted that follow-up immediately before i saw your reply. so it looks like i am arguing against something that has already been ironed out 😃

i don't have 3D glasses to look at that pdf unfortunately 😦

do you have a link to how these channels are created in a bit more detail?

regards
    chris

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to chrisbayes's comment.

Have you read our blog?
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted