Planet Four Talk

ideas!

• spooks34 by spooks34

Could it be possible that this terrain is cause by subsurface voids or caverns, collapsing in
    on themselves and the surface material falling into the cracks!!

Posted

• JKalapothakis by JKalapothakis

It appears to me that the black material has a source from which it emerges - from a relatively flat surface (?) - and subsequently diffuses. It is clear that there is some kind of diffusion process taking place.

Are the coordinates where these features appeared known? Is it known whether these features are persistent?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

I think you need to look at these lines as 'spiders', only they're not spider-shaped - they're just lines.
    Reread the 'About' page for starters; http://planetfour.org/#/about

The coordinates of features are not given. This is partly to do with 'blind testing' you and I, and everyone else, in our response to each image. The emission features (the plumes and fans) are seasonal. Hope that helps.

Posted

• JKalapothakis by JKalapothakis

So, cracks on (a possibly translucent) dry ice - it is interesting. I wonder why the emissions appear dark, is it because we are actually witnessing the shadow cast by the gas or because the material is genuinely black?

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

JKalapothakis,
    The release of gas through sublimation, draws up the 'native' dust which is 'dark', especially in relation to the CO2 gas emitted. CO2 'frost' which I'm sure you'll see sooner or later, is bluish in color.

Posted

• trebor82 by trebor82

Has anyone else noticed this exact same pattern/affect in photos with an icy surface? The only difference being, is instead of a red surface(like in this image) , its icy-white. I think the dark lines are fans or some sort of gas or dust spurting or erupting out from under the surface. If this photo had a layer of ice over it, would the erupting material make its way through the ice and make the same sort of effect on the surface of the ice? High Five! lol

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist in response to trebor82's comment.

quote: "If this photo had a layer of ice over it, would the erupting material make its way through the ice and make the same sort of effect on the surface of the ice?"

High five indeed! 😃

Anya

Posted