Planet Four Talk

Features in the tutorial picture

• Nologic by Nologic

Can anyone tell me why there are 3 rocky features in a triangle that are identical! (NNE) of the lower fan marking?
    Picture: APF0000x3t is the first picture i get before signing in and a few people have made initial comments on the fans that we are asked to mark but noone seems to have noticed there are 3 rocky formations that are identical in the position stated above.
    They are equal in shape and size except for a small amount of rock detail on the farthest formation.
    Why are they in a triangle and why are they all the same if they are naturally formed?

Posted

• theclearskiesofthemoon by theclearskiesofthemoon

I noticed these two:

enter image description here

Which ones are you talking about?

Posted

• Nologic by Nologic in response to theclearskiesofthemoon's comment.

To be fair, I never noticed the ones you are pointing out!
    If you look up from the centre of the bottom fan about the same distance as it is long you should find a small mound. Once you see that, look to the left and you will see two more mounds with identical spidering protruding from them. The three of them form a triangle (obviously) 😃.

Posted

• Nologic by Nologic in response to theclearskiesofthemoon's comment.

So, do you think this is a doctored image? (or are our names going up in lights this year!)

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

There are also 3 very similar formations NNE of the lower blotch - the 2 lower ones feature Y shaped channels with the fork pointing SW, there is a promient "eye" or crater where the fork joins, the lower one has a "handle" the upper one not. Slightly above these two there's the same foramtion again but minus the eye

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to nologic's comment.

It's definitely not a doctored image. That's just Mars. Just that the spider channels look very similar. You get similar things if you looked at the channels of a delta you might think they're repeating.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

where the 2 red boxes meet follow the line of them to the left you can see some sort of line across the picture, might just be a pixel thing.

Posted

• woolley79 by woolley79

defo images that are repeated there are loads

Posted

• theclearskiesofthemoon by theclearskiesofthemoon

I did notice the triangle too(it's actually NNW), but the one to the right( didn't have the thick channel to the right the other two have.

I drew a line over one my selections and then copied that drawn line the other one. It fits in a way that's uncanny(where the channel is thicker than the red line it bulges out in the same places):

enter image description here

Posted

• arfon by arfon in response to theclearskiesofthemoon's comment.

Hi all, very well spotted! For the tutorial image we wanted to show a fan next to a 'blotch' feature and so we did combine two images here. This was only so that we could keep the tutorial short - apologies for any confusion caused. This is the only image that we've 'adjusted' I promise!

Cheers
    Arfon

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Oops, guess we did simulate that image. But that's the only one!
    ~Meg

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

phew. thought it was gonna be another cydonia 😃

Posted

• mallaidh49 by mallaidh49

If this is supposed to be a tutorial it doesn't give much tutoring. Nor does it explain how to get away from the tutorial and on with the real thing!

Posted