Planet Four Talk

space chimney

• kevski81 by kevski81

Saw this, looks too perfectly formed to be natural! What could it be?

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Paul, it looks like the base is octagonal rather than hexagonal.

Posted

• Paul_Johnson by Paul_Johnson

True! Good geometry Jelly!

Posted

I like shapes. Have the scientists come up with any explanation yet?

Posted

I think I'm in their bad books for bantering them ......no answer, I thionk this anomaly is the most important find of the lot. If its a hole, then wow. If it's a chimney (which thanks to you, it doesnt appear to be....! lol) then ....wow.

It's a wow picture, whatever it is.

Posted

I still think a Dalek was the best answer. Do they have an octagonal base?

Posted

Hexagonal, I think......lol

Posted

• Plenum by Plenum

Copy-paste the image and blow the image up. Where's the sun coming from? To me, the sun is more or less coming from about 4 or 5:00 point, right, the south-east? If it were a chimney, we would see a shadow with a dark and definite extention, from the base up and away from the center extending towards 22:00. This is a pit, like a sinkhole, of some sort because the shadow comes from 4 or 5:00 and extends inwards towards the center of the pit. Might be wrong, but that's what my eye says... What fun to be looking at these images!

Posted

Yes, some sort of cavity but it is still weird. The octagonal base can't be natural surely, although not all of it can be seen.

Posted

• jules by jules

Well this is interesting! Nice find. Here is a rotated and enlarged version which helps me to see the negative features. Hopefully this will work for others too. I see what Planum describes - though bear in mind that the shadow on the pit / crater floor is now rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise.
    enter image description here

Hope a scientist drops by soon!

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to jules's comment.

Here's a couple more super close ups. The first image has been rotated through 180 degrees. The second one has been negated plus a few colour/histogram edits. What the hell is it... where is Brian Cox when you need him? It's looking more and more like an incense cone (in a depression)!

Inverted

Negated

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist in response to Plenum's comment.

i just played around with this image and realised something: as we know that the sun coms from above (in this rotation), we can be sure that the inner circular feature is not a dome either, because it would throw a shadow on the icy illuminated lower side walls of the depression. One thing that maybe could explain something like this is a collapsed Pingo (Search for "collapsed pingo" with Google Images. It is not a very clear possibility for me, also I'm not familiar with the precise mechanisms required for it, but I know that people keep saying that in principle Pingos could be possible on Mars.

Posted

Just read about pingos, the bottom image on wiki has starting similarities to this. Utterly fascinating.

Posted

• jules by jules

I second that. And an image search on "collapsed pingo" shows many more images resembling this one.

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

Isnt Pingo a plasticine Penguin?

Posted

You mean Pingu!

I have yet to see a collapsed pingo with an octagonal base. The other thing is that the anomaly seems to be a one off.

Posted

• jules by jules in response to JellyMonster's comment.

The search is on...!

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

Hey, I just found this & thought i'd stick it on here just incase it might be Pingu's mate? (similar smaller feature perhaps, or less magnified?)

enter image description here

Posted

Ian, I reckon thats a boulder with some dark material next to it.....it looks similar to the 'anomaly' at first, but I have come to think it is a boulder.

What does everyone else think???

Posted

Possibly a square feature with some sort of rock formation surrounding it. The image has been inverted.

Square anomaly

Posted

Jelly you really are an image Jedi !

Square! That's unusual!!! lol

Another 'anomoly' --I love that word.....

anomoly.....

an om o ly.....

cool pic dude, well done as ever, and thanks.

Posted

I spelled it wrong, what a dufus!

ANOMALY...

anomaly, anomaly, anomaly!

Posted

So now we have an octagonal anomaly, and a square anomaly.....whats next?

Posted

Dufus... not heard that word in a while!

So now we have an octagonal anomaly, and a square anomaly.....whats next?

Don't forget my irregular shape with a hole in it!

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Seems the scientists have been busy with this one http://blog.planetfour.org/?s=chimney

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to wassock's comment.

Thanks for the link wassock - I forgot about the blog... still looks odd though. I have spun the black and white high resolution image through 180 and added a little colour.

![Pingo] (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/hoofesd8q6vg8ge/Pingo.jpg)

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Looks like a bit of an egg box, or the eye of some scaly beastie

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to wassock's comment.

Well it is certainly not a Dalek anymore (or space chimney) 😦.

Posted

• jaroslavp by jaroslavp

Looks like something exploded and ground around the explosion fell down. Something like underground nuclear test.

Posted