Planet Four Talk

odd thing

• chrisbayes by chrisbayes

#tramlines with two #fans and an odd hair on the lens in the middle why would there be fans on top of glacial marks? what is the hair in the middle?

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

Hi!
    You are looking at glacier marks covered by CO2 ice layer. The layer is transparent enough so that you can see through it. This makes the jets and hence fans possible.
    Regarding the hair, it might be crack in the ice or weird surface feature, we would need same image at summer time to see which one it is.
    Anya

Posted

hi portlyankina. i posted in another tramline thread but here goes
    how it works

seems logical. but if the rocks are scraped clean then where does the black dust come from? if the surface was scraped clean and scored by a glacier and then there is a 1m seasonal cap on top which erupts CO2 and dust then it would be red dust? not arguing just curios

Posted

Oh, I think, if it was a glacier that did the line markings, it was really long ago. Since then lots could happen to this surface. Mars is a really dusty place, so some dust is always, always there.
    BTW I actually showed this frame to a glaciologist today. He said, he has to see "larger picture" to say something definite. So, I'll follow up on this when software team releases to us some of your data and I can find out the location of these grooves.

Anya

Posted

thanks anya, would be good to see where this pic was taken. mars is a dusty place but i haven't seen any black dust in all the pics taken from other areas of mars. so just wondering what might be transparent or red under a pressurised cap and then turn black on the downwind low pressure deposit side of the vent after sunlight has landed on it.

surely it couldn't be tiny matian bananas could it? 😃

Posted

Actually, that dust is not as dark as it looks like in these images. Color frames are usually maximally stretched to highlight the interesting features and to highlight color differences in the surface. So, as the darkest part of this frame is the dust, it set to be really dark, almost black. In absolute numbers its albedo is about 0.2-0.3 - i.e. a bit darker than average martian albedo of 0.3, but not that dark. Ice cover brightens a bit the underlying surface and also shifts the color from original one. So, when you see the difference between black fan and red surface, you see difference between pure dust in the fan and dust+ice on top in the other surface.

I think, bananas are slightly too warm-loving to survive -123C at this location..

Anya

Posted

hi Anya,
    i am not sure i am convinced by your explanation of the colour stretching. would it be possible to see a before and after of the image processing? usually when you do this sort of processing you effect other things too. if there is a way or processing the images that can make only the fans and blotches go black then it would make processing these images with some image recognition software a piece of cake 😃

i read another conversation where someone thought that the tramlines seemed to go over the top of some fans and other features which is possible if you look at it differently. this would conflict with the glacial idea for these lines.

either way something is a bit 'odd'

regards
    chris

Posted