Planet Four Talk

Peaks or Troughs

• toxictraveller by toxictraveller

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm seeing one of those visual illusions with the numerous spider like tracks in the lower half.

Is the light area/side of each track actually showing ice that is protected from direct sun light and the dark side where the ice has been sublimated and thus making the features troughs with the sun generally being on the left of the image. Or are they actually peaks and the sun generally being from the right of the image?

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

Hi!

They are troughs and sun must be from the left here. I myself always have to think for a while about it before figuring out the topography!

Anya

Posted

• mikecave by mikecave

Are the white lines on the left of the troughs ice or sunlight? To me they look like ridges with the sun striking the left (W) side

Posted

• Portyankina by Portyankina scientist

Sorry, I have too many people to answer, so I messed up the direction here. Sun shines from the lower right. The troughs might still have ice inside, they are rather bright. They do look like ridges to my eye too, but we do have sun position data and we have elevation maps of these features, so we know, they are depressions for sure.

Anya

Posted

• toxictraveller by toxictraveller

Great, thanks for the clarification, I just wish my mind would stop making them 'feel' as if they are ridges even now I know they are troughs 😄

Posted