Planet Four Talk

Aligned Linear Vents?

• hsabido by hsabido

Rather than point source vents as described in the Info for formation process, some of these vents appear to have more linear (centre right of image) is this plausible or is it more likely a shadow? Also most of the features in the bottom half of the image appear to follow a curved line......

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Yes you're right those fans are followed that curved line. That curved line looks to me to be a channel carved into the dirt by the carbon dioxide gas that is trapped underneath the carbon dioxide ice sheet.
    Cheers,
    ~Meg

Posted

• nicolast by nicolast

We see venting along "cracks" in many places. There are several possible explanations. If the topography has a small ridge or tiny scarp then this is often a site of activity. That is possibly because the ice "folds" over the topography when it is deposited is somehow weak at that edge. We also see linear venting where the surface is very flat. Here the whole ice sheet might be lifting because of the gas pressure until it basically cracks and venting then starts.

Posted

• ChrisUK27 by ChrisUK27

I have several the same as this, multiple vents forming along what seems to be cracks.

Posted

• brian_peaston by brian_peaston

I've tagged those I've seen that are similar to this one. While this one seems to show vents following curve lines, others seem to vent from the "legs" of "spiders", and others from what look more like fault lines. #fault-line APF0000eji (http://talk.planetfour.org/#/subjects/APF0000eji)

Posted