Planet Four Talk

what is this?

• DCCstudents by DCCstudents

I'm not sure what to make of this picture really. is it a bad photo? what is the red mark on the left side of the screen.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

The color scaling on this image is tough. The red is where we don't have the other filters to make the color image. Usually we see this at the edges or top or bottom of the full HiRISE image. We divide the HiRiSE images into smaller chunks. The dark patches those are seasonal blotches, so those we'd want you to mark. Most images on the site will be clearer than this one.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Hi, I had a good look at the HiRISE image from which this clip is taken. It is from a strip image across part of a crater bottom in the area of seasonal ice. I think this particular shot is over frost reflecting sunlight back at the camera, and the resulting glare has "burnt out" the image. Click on the HiRISE link below the image, bottom right, and scroll down to see the image context, then back up and look at the links under "JPEG and click on RGB colour, non map projected. You can find this area of reflected light just below halfway down the strip. Use the magnifying tool, and you can see from where this image is taken. Hope this helps, ~Pete.

Posted