Planet Four Talk

Are There Any Fans?

• Traix by Traix

I see v-shaped dust but I am not entirely sure if they're considered to be fans because they do not expand as it goes outwards but stays the same consistent shape. I don't think they're blobs because I think blobs are supposed to be as dark as black to be classified as a blob.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to Traix's comment.

Hello Traix.

We tend to call them blotches, rather than blobs, but you're welcome to call them whatever you want. 😃

Fans and blotches come in all sorts of shapes, so it can sometimes be difficult to sort one from another. They can also vary in colour, with 'blue-tinge' and 'rusty' shades often being seen. The shape depends on the wind; no wind and the venting dust will form a blotch; gentle wind and the dust forms a short (often wide) fan; strong winds blow the dust into long fans. It's also possible for the wind to change direction over time and this causes the fans to form in different directions too.

The latter case seems to me to be happening in your image. Some of the venting dust has been blown top to bottom (ish) and then a shift in the wind has blown the dust a little more left to right. We can't tell which direction happened first, but I hope you get the idea. 😃

If you take your best guess and mark what you think you see, then you won't go far wrong. All classifications are useful to the science team so just 'go for it'. Hope all that makes sense. Feel free to tell me if it doesn't. 😉 Cheers.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Traix's comment.

Hiya,

Echoing Kitharode's great advice, I think these are some fans in the image and some blotches. We find that's people's first guess is usually the right one.

Cheers

~Meg

Posted