Planet Four Talk

No quite sure whether to tag the massive dark area top left

• TheWaler by TheWaler

How should one go about this type of artifact?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi there. I'm guessing you meant to say the dark area top right (not left)?

The dark stuff definately needs marking and different people will mark it differently. Someone might mark it as one large blotch, someone else might mark 4 or 5 blotches, others might mark lots of smaller blotches close together.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Like Kitharode says. it's all down to interpretation. Pity there isn't a button for 'unclear' or inconclusive'.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to JellyMonster's comment.

Hi,

Nice to see you on Talk again!

It's actually deliberate to not have that button. When that button existed on other projects, it was rarely used, and it turns out that making people decide even if tough cases generates good data even though people might be more worried about providing wrong assessments. You might think that you're unsure, but actually the gut answer picked in this iffy cases is usually right, so there's no need for an 'unclear' or skip button. We can also measure the standard deviation of the markings as well which could be a metric for uncertainty

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to TheWaler's comment.

Hi,

This is a tougher one. But I'd recommend as Kitharode says and mark it as something. I'd probably mark it as one big blotch myself, but definitely up to interpretation.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to Meg Schwamb's comment.

Hi Meg - you can't get rid of me that easily :p

Re 'skip' button - you win! I would probably mark it as one big blotch also.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

So the image is showing some of those faint lines that wander across the image, so I went in search of such at HiRise. Then I got distracted: Note the very large fan bottom right.

enter image description here

What caught my attention was how well defined this is (as are others)

Getting in closer there's something odd going on, the edge of the fan coincides with a change in the surface, smooth surface = no fan, bumby surface = fan. My initial take is that the fan wasn't laid down with such a well defined ( ~straight) edge and so the smooth surface must be absorbing/hiding the dust in the edge of the fan.

2nd thought is that some how the ice under the fan is more transparent so we can see the underlying surface better there that we can in the apparently smooth bit, but the whole surface beneath the ice is pretty much all the same?

Posted