Planet Four Talk

upper right/center area

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

i can't get a grasp on it. any takers? crevice? odd shape boulder? "eye of horus"? 😉

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Depends how you look at it.
    Frome the greyscale JP2 imge on Hirise

enter image description here

And the IRB colour version

Both looked different to me in the full screen versions to how they appear in the crop. If you want to look for yourself it's at the far left about halfway up in both images

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

ok, JP2 is rather large , so thanks wassock on the full screen. that aside i got it on HiRISE RGB color non-map bottom (lower right/center). Keeping in mind light from lower right of given image it appears to be more elevated than crevice, with a lateral indentation. There's a "cut" into it on the upper right (of given image) that does not seem to correspond to the "spidery troughs" in the area.

I would be really interested in other's take on this.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to HMB6EQUJ5's comment.

Hi HMB, looks like a mound to me, with ,as you say, an indentation across the top, so we can see 2 shadows, one in the 'indentation', and the second on the upper side of the mound (in the cropped image).~Pete

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

Thx pete. That was my impression, interesting feature none the less. no telling if we may find a trace of the Mars Polar Lander sometime.

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

From the HIRISE, the original image scale range is 49.8 cm/pixel (with 2 x 2 binning), the image is therefore ~418m x 323m. From a rough measurement of this image, the central feature would have an approximate diameter of just over 20m (my rough estimate).

Could this be a collapsed region? Such as being fed by escaping gases from the #troughs, which seem roughly radial to this feature? Better resolution would probably 'resolve' this question...

Cheers.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Here is my version but doubt it it will help.

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

thx pete & JellyMonster! Impression i get is of a butte formation with a linear crevice. The is also radial channel extensions it seems.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

An interesting object. It looks like a 'bump' to me rather than a depression. I can see the linear 'cut' across it. I'd say it was part of the surface area, rather than something on/in the surface. Good find.

Posted

• pete-j by pete-j

Perhaps a 'bump' within a depression or collapsed area? Much like you have a central peak within a crater (not implying this is a crater)...

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hiya,

That feature is hard for me to tell. One of the rare features where if I rotate the image to the right sun angle it looks like a depression. I'm not sure the laser altimetry data from MOLA (which was aboard Mars Global Surveyer) has fine enough resolution to tell you for sure.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted