Planet Four Talk

The White Stripes

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

I'm curious if there's a known reason for those stripes/lines on those spiders on left..

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

It might be frost.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to HMB6EQUJ5's comment.

For me, it is frost lying in the shelter of the channels, the left half of the channels being lit from lower right .~Pete

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to HMB6EQUJ5's comment.

Hi Bill. Although frost in the spider channels is probably the right answer, I have to say that I'm not totally convinced. The stripe in the spider just above the bottom left corner does not (to my eyes) seem to follow the line of a channel, but seems to me to cut across the body of the spider.

You should definately save this image in a collection and keep your eyes peeled for any more examples of these white stripes. I've no idea what else they might be other than frost, but we are on Mars. And as you already know, Mars can be pretty weird. Good find whatever it is. Thanks for posting. 😃

Posted

• PaulMetcalfe by PaulMetcalfe in response to Kitharode's comment.

Hi,

Just a quick thought on this but I may try to look in more detail later.

If you look at the image in 'NEGATIVE' form then at a glance the thick white line near bottom left seems to sit at one edge (top) of a depressed area and feeds into channels going up & left from its top end and down & right from its lower end.

I was toying with the idea that a collapse occured that changed a channel into a wider rift.

Perhaps the white could be ice that either filled the rift or created the rift and subsidence. If (BIG IF) there is a subsidence it seems well placed to be the centre of a spider and would tie in with your observation above. Or of course it could be Frost.

Paul

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

Thanks all...each day a new adventure here

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to PaulMetcalfe's comment.

Hi Paul. That's a really interesting idea. Hope you get chance to investigate further. Yes the stripes are probably frost, but those old gut-feelings are telling me there's more to this than meets the eye. Good fun all round.

Posted

• PaulMetcalfe by PaulMetcalfe

Hi,

This may be related to my earlier comment here. Image APF0002680 seems interesting. It looks to me that it could have been a Spider that has had its central feature and periphery to a certain degree re-shaped by some sort of intense activity. Any ideas?

Paul

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to PaulMetcalfe's comment.

Hi Paul. Bit hard to see exactly what's going on in the image and as with the opening image we might just be seeing frost/sunlight. However, the idea of 'extra' activity in and around spiders is interesting, especially the idea of collapse or slippage at the edges of the channels. Definately worth keeping in mind for further observations methinks. 😃

Posted

• PaulMetcalfe by PaulMetcalfe in response to Kitharode's comment.

Hi,

The reason I think this may be a collapse or even Balloon then collapse event is from what I interpret as a large 'V' shaped area with the base of the V on the left with two dark ejecta and the elbow of the V to the right of that with one dark ejecta.

I would hazard a guess that this ejecta marks the original central Spider vent.

Then around the edges of that V are a few other dark ejecta that in theory could be from shear points.

To the left of the base of the V is a large circular area that to me seems to be part of the event.

At a guess, I would say that if a collapse event did occur, it was centred at the base of the V.

Of course I am not saying that this is what has happened, just that there appears to be some evidence of such an event.

Paul

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin

Here is an image, with the 2 spiders to the left of centre having the "White Whiggly Whorms" (hereafter *WWW *). 😃 in the central channel bases. APF0002683 ~Pete

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

Hey I'm back for a limited time only!

enter image description here

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Nice to see you again JM. Hope all is well with you. 😃

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to JellyMonster's comment.

Got your message, thanks, really good to see you back on the 'boards'. Still think I have more to offer! ~Pete

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to p.titchin's comment.

Yes I agree. I only provide edited images, The technical stuff I leave for you lot!

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi Jelly wrlcome back

Posted