Planet Four Talk

scattered dark area

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

i see this every so often where there is a scattered , diaphanous dark area (not the bottom right blotch) . would all this be one large Blotch or many scattered one, or how should i classify

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi there, the answer is that you should mark it as you think best - this is in the context of how the zooniverse works. The idea is that everyone works on it "untrained" and thus no-one needs to get the 'right' answer because the average will give the 'right answer'. Kind of like the "How many sweets in the jar thing - ask 100 people and the average tends to be about right.

That being said it's a bit of a tricky one, I'd mark the dark bottom right as a blotch and probably 3 or 4 of the main concentrations as blotches as well. But it may be that this is all just shading, this is Inca City but there are images about which are more or less all grey except for the 'veins' of the spiders.

Posted

• p.titchin by p.titchin in response to wassock's comment.

Had a look at the HiRISE, and found it at the bottom of one of the ridges in a hollow surrounded by ridges. The ice looks more translucent, in this sheltered bottom area, with blotches and spiders. There are fans starting just off this image aligned downhill on the slope of the ridge. ~Pete

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to HMB6EQUJ5's comment.

I'm with wassock - mark it as you see it. This type of shading is difficult indeed, but as wassock points out the average will be somewhere near the truth. I would probably have marked more than 3 or 4 separate blotches, but they would group together into 3 or 4 areas so kinda ending up with the same effect.

Posted

• HMB6EQUJ5 by HMB6EQUJ5

thanks all...learn more each day

Posted