Planet Four Talk

Beginner question, are all these fans?

• Peek by Peek

Hey everyone, just started classifying, and completely messed this one up when I managed to press "Finished" long before I had marked everything...
    I was just wondering if all these black patterns are to be classified as "fans"? Most of them don't have the conical shape of the standard fan object, it seems.

Another question, regarding dark patterns: I saw another image that was full of them, but then I was not really sure if they were dust fans, or simply shadows on ridges and hill. How do you tell the difference?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hiya,

Welcome to Planet Four.

We're looking at the south pole, there is elevation differences but most of the time if you dark it's the seasonal fans and blotches, so mark it. In this case, I would use the fan tool since there is lighter black on the top left and darker on the bottom right, so the fans are blowing from bottom right to top left.

You can see some more examples of what to mark here.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• Peek by Peek

Hi, and thanks for the answer and the welcome!
    Perfect, I'll get on with the classifications.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Hi Peek, and welcome from me as well. In the image you can see that the origins of many of the fans appear to be on curver lines. We think this is due to cracks in the ice which allow the gas beeathy to escape. With this in mind you can see that some of the fans are coming from a section of a crack rather than from a point source, which is why many of them don't fit the standard model.

Posted