Planet Four Talk

How to Classify

• liamvharris by liamvharris

How on Mars do I classify this?!

I think it's a fantastic image, but I don't really know what I'm looking at. This is the first image that I got after the tutorial... I don't feel I was quite trained for something like this!

I just marked the two light regions that look like ice caps and also the large dark region near the centre with "interesting feature" stars... what would other people have done?

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

That's a stinker for your first go. If you squint a bit there's a darker area near the middle which has a diamond shape, I'd probable make that as a fan origin on the left end. there's also a dark band running across the top right corner which may be a fan but I'd call a blotch as it's not really clear which way it runs. Ther's also some thing starting at the top, just left of center running down slightly leftish and ending just up and left of the diamond - I could be persuaded to see a fan shape in that, specially the rounded end but that may just be wishful thinking

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to liamvharris's comment.

Blimey. If I'd got that for my first go I'd probably just throw up and move to Galaxy Zoo 😉

Hopefully you've met a few more images by now and realised that some of them are blank of fans and blotches. That doesn't help with images like the one above, but it does give your brain a rest.

I don't know what I'd have done with your image, but it would probably have been different again from both wassock's and your own marking schemes. Perhaps images that are given a mish-mash of classifications go into a 'mish-mash box' and get studied seperately. My guess is you did the right thing by doing something, rather than just skipping past it.

Nice to see you here. Good Luck.

Posted