Planet Four Talk

Duplication??

• John_Wareing by John_Wareing

Is this a case of duplication? Has this image already been catalogued, by mheretakih and by simondavidheath, 2 months ago?

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi John. The scientists have said somewhere on here that, in simple terms, everybody gets to see everything. There may be thousands of people who have marked this image and the scientists will take an average of all results. The more results, the better the average I guess.

If you type #frost or #boulder or #whatever in the comment box of an image then this marks the image as 'special', which is useful to the scientists, and you can also put comments/questions in there that will travel around with the image.

Hope that helps...

Posted

• John_Wareing by John_Wareing

Yes, thanks for that Kitharode. When I saw the other entries I thought there maybe some duplication as outlined elsewhere on here. However, your explanation solves the problem:)
    Regards, John.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Glad it was useful. Ta.

Just remembered that on occasion when you find something like #pizza, for example, although it should take you to the hashtag page sometimes you might end up with a blank page. It's probably something to do with software recognition (not my thing so I'm guessing) but it's not some sort of problem. Just back up and carry on.

Now I'm gonna try the #pizza - never had martian food before...

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hiya,

I just wanted clarify a little bit. ABOUT 100 people see the same cutout. Once the image has that numbers of classifiers, it is retired from rotation. We will be combining the independent assessments of the many classifiers to obtain the wind measurements and find out where there are fans and where there are blotches. This method is known as the 'wisdom of crowds' and has been shown to equal and sometimes outperform expert opinions.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted