Planet Four Talk

Mars topographical slideshow link

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

For those who still might be having trouble seeing channels instead of veins... no guarantees though. None of the images have been rotated.

http://the-orangery.weebly.com/mars-2.html

![Neg] (http://www.mediafire.com/conv/c87d330e903bb0e2a75cb9522fa9fbcb0f435ee0c664d937d067936ddf45355c6g.jpg)

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Class B: sub-class B1; Chain Spider ..? Great link, Ta.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to Kitharode's comment.

Kitharode, thanks for taking time out to look. By the way, did you see mainly channels rather than veins?

Posted

Majority as channels, yes. I occasionally can't 'get it' but that's partly because, I think, of the colour in some of them (plus my not quite perfect eyesight).

Posted

• eagiles by eagiles

class b sub class b1 spider chain i am sorry is there a navy on mars or what, keep it simple then everybody would enjoy it instead of anorak terminology, and if any one says there is an explanation i have seen the 10 000 word essay on classification, and am ignoring it just say what you see or feel about the image, i doubt the scientist understand you index. and have there own easier.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to eagiles's comment.

keep it simple then everybody would enjoy it

I thought it was?

Posted

• eagiles by eagiles

sorry AUricle egos no not me just like simple as jelly monster says every body will enjoy it, but there is always someone who knows where the jiggle pin is in the car or if it has one, but me it that silly knobbly thing that vents air. cheers ed
    oh jelly why is the image above the negative of the true image?. and do you use the ease of access app

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to eagiles's comment.

just like simple as jelly monster says every body will enjoy it

It seems I didn't make myself clear. Kitherode's spider classifications are really quite easy to understand.

why is the image above the negative of the true image?

It allows people to see Mars channels instead of varicose veins - won't work for everyone though.

and do you use the ease of access app

Sorry but I don't know what you mean?

Posted

• michaelaye by michaelaye scientist

Just a warning: Negative images have the obvious disadvantage that the intensities are inverted, so, fans are suddenly bright. One will see the 3D structures better, but now the wrong side of spider arms seem to be the illuminated ones. For hypotheses of fan creations this makes it a bit difficult to discuss the effects. So enjoy these images with caution, as they show an altered reality. In principle, a rotation would be a more trustworthy image operation. Nevertheless, Mr. Monster, I appreciate your efforts to help the users understand the real topographies or our sceneries!

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to JellyMonster's comment.

Thanks again JM,
    .....but despite your valiant effort to help us 'see,' I have to admit a certaim 'resistance' to the cure!

I must be borderline "won't work for everyone". Even this looks wrong unless I zoom in to where it fills the screen. Then, like magic, it becomes right. Weirdest thing is, once i've got it right, I can zoom back out, as long as I don't avert my eyes. Once I do, it instantly goes 'wrong again......

....(after a period of time)......well I can report that after spending some minutes toggling away from and to the image, it seems to come up right about half the time......and it 'stays' for awhile. Perhaps one can 'train' the brain after all?

If I have to 'work' at every image like this, I won't be planting any victory flags anytime soon 😉

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to michaelaye's comment.

So enjoy these images with caution, as they show an altered reality. In principle, a rotation would be a more trustworthy image operation.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I really like the term 'an altered reality' - sounds like a science fiction movie.

Nevertheless, Mr. Monster, I appreciate your efforts to help the users understand the real topographies or our sceneries!

Thank you. I hope some people have found it useful.

Dave S.

Posted

Yes indeed JellyMonster - I for one have found it most useful. At the back of my mind however there was, I admit, some concern about these 'altered reality' images getting passed around and confusing the issue of 'which image is real'. It's for that reason that I've kept this thread a bit of a secret till now.

But now that these images have their own confined space (this thread) and on page 1 we have a Scientists 'health warning' in place, I've decided that if appropriate I'll point people in this direction with a caveat attached to the effect that; "If you visit here, please make sure you read the Scientists comments on Page 1 regarding these images". Those comments, and others on the page, should make it clear enough that care must be taken to avoid the potential of confusion.

AUricle. I can't answer your brain training question directly but I do know that if you wear 'inverted image' spectacles your brain will at first be totally confused by this. Quite quickly however (less than a day I think) your brain will sort it out and you can function as normal. Later on, when the 'inverted' specs are removed, the brain is again confused but again will make things right quite quickly. Good eh?

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle in response to Kitharode's comment.

Hey, I've got that image down COLD!.............but ONLY that image...sigh

Posted