Planet Four Talk

Problems with this site crashing???????

• John_Wareing by John_Wareing

Has anyone else experienced problems with planetfour.org crashing. This problem can occur several times during a session. I am using firefox as a browser????????????

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

does it happen after drawing many fans?

~Meg

Posted

• John_Wareing by John_Wareing in response to mschwamb's comment.

Hi Meg, It seems to happen after being on line for approx. 1 hour. Prior to the crash the site slows markedly. I have tried to slow down my input. However, the site still crashes???????

Posted

• Chocstar by Chocstar

I usually get a warning message before it crashes "high memory usage" so i ease off until it settles. usually during a lot of blotches or fans being marked.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Thanks for the added info. Yeah it's a memory leak in the java script library (not sure if that's the exact term) but one of the libraries used to draw the fans, so either alot of fans or using it for a long term without closing your browser causes it eat too much memory and crash the browser. It requires finding and integrating a new drawing library and I believe the development team is working on, but will take some time.. I'm sorry for the frustration and I hope you'll stay with us while this bug gets sorted out.

Thanks,
    ~Meg

Posted

Thanks Meg and Chocstar for your help with this matter:) John.

Posted

As an after thought. Where there are numerous fans or blotches in an image. Would it suffice to mark the image as, "An Interesting Feature" rather than marking each and every blotch or fan. Thereby, preventing the site crashing due to data overload?? John.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to John Wareing's comment.

That doesn't really help the statistics because then we don't know if there are fans in the images or blotches. The best thing to do is mark as many as you can before the site crashes. We're working on fixing the issue.

~Meg

Posted

ok. Thanks again for your help:) John.

Posted