Planet Four Talk

striking dark and bright regions

• AUricle by AUricle

Awesome pic SEJones!
    JMO, but it really, really looks like the bright area might be the receding(?) edge of the CO2 ice sheet. There is a haziness along the edge that looks to me like the edge of the sheet is sublimating, causing a 'cloud' of sorts to form there, and it looks to be seeping into the darker terrain"below".

Posted

• SEJones by SEJones

i'm wondering about magnification/field of of view of all images shown in this project. is HiRES probe consistently using same scale for each image? for example this image could be a typical fan but it may have been magnified on this occasion to such an extent that we end up seeing part of the fan. can anyone verify about consistency?

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

I think from memory there using two resolutions 25cm or 50cm per pixel

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

These 2 may be the same APF00002sn and APF0000j8x , my moneys on big fans

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

And this APF0000piv

Posted

• SEJones by SEJones

if this is a genuinely bigger fan then the scale of the fan could be due to angular position of terrain towards the sun so direct exposure causes more sublimation?

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason

My money is on it being one these darker areas, similar to the ones shown here.

Posted

• SEJones by SEJones

what i meant was that the large-scale nature of the fan could result from large-scale subimation due to seasonal effects / angular position of landmass towards the sun.

Posted