Planet Four Talk

How to mark a line of fans?

• mheretakih by mheretakih

This has come up a few times and I would like some advice on how to better mark fans that follow a line. Basically, I've noticed that in some cases, fans seem to look like they are originating from a fracture (or so it looks) so you will see 10-20 fans that begins along a line. Would it be best to mark each separate fan or should I treat as one big fan with a lot of smaller parts? In addition, and you can see on the far left corner of the image the same line of fans but they haven't blown out very far. In that case should I use the blotch feature to identify them?

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

@mheretakih,

The current "rules" dictate that these are 'fans'.
    Obviously we need a new "crack" tool, as they exhibit the fan-like wisps, but not the classic fan 'cone' shape.
    After all these images are preliminarily marked, they may be re-released so that we can sub-classify them. At least I hope so!

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Use the fan tool, just make the fans as thin as possible.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• nick.coram by nick.coram in response to mschwamb's comment.

Could you show an example. Do you mean mark multiple thin fans side by side along the crack, or one on each crack?

Posted

• mheretakih by mheretakih

That's what I have been doing. I will create a fan for each individual fan that I can identify that originates from a line. It is a lot of work but it is more accurate.

Posted

• Petnickety by Petnickety

Need help with fans as sometimes it looks as if the fan has stopped, leaving residue on the surface. Sometimes there seems to be evidence of dead fans with no definite source (cracks possibly).

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator in response to Petnickety's comment.

Not all the fans and blotches will the source crack the geyser comes from be visible. But that's okay. That's why we're asking you to mark the fans, that tells us where the geysers are and also gives us the direction the wind was blowing in.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted