Planet Four Talk

Boulder movements?

• netdude by netdude

Some of these shallow channels appear to have grooves in the bottom of them that follow the same path as the channels, as if something has been dragged along, scoring the ground.

On other similarly-scaled images I have seen boulders of the same width to that of these channels. Perhaps the boulders are occasionally being blown around like tumbleweeds, making these ruts?

Posted

• netdude by netdude

Similar-scaled image with boulders and 'random ruts' HERE

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to netdude's comment.

Hi there netdude. I've only recently been asked to do some 'trawling' of the discussions, hence such late reply. Will probably have said "hello" to everybody by about August - 2035!! 😉

Glad I've found your discovery here, even though I can't say too much about it. First thing is, most of the images have light coming in from the bottom right and this often convinces us that we're looking at ridges when we're actually looking at depressions/channels. I really struggled with this image for a minute or two because I'd just assumed it was a 'light from the right' image and was trying to make it fit that assumption.

I'm thinking this is one of those exceptions to 'the rule' with light coming in from top left-ish. Hopefully somebody will confirm this for me (perhaps you can do that) because to my eyes it flits from ridge to channel really easily and I'd be happy with either being correct.

I'm sure they're channels, but I'm not sure I see your drag marks in the channels. That doesn't mean they're not there, of course. Everything around here is a surprise and it'd be great to find another one. The 'tadpole blob in the palm of the hand' feature is interesting. Very much part of the wider landscape, but something of a defined structure in itself.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to Kitharode's comment.

This image is a little unusual in that there appears to be channels instead of ridges. Anyway, I have still gone ahead and inverted it (because that's what I like doing) and upped the contrast.

![Image] (https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8xh1jnvw6x8y3o4/R-50e73b6c5e2ed2124000016c.jpg)

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Ahhh, some techno wizardry. Thanks JM, I was hoping you'd do that. As an aside, I've got 'Dropbox'. That's it, I've got it. You'll know if I get the hang of it when you see my first effort appear. Don't hold your breath.

Netdude. I'm beginning to see now why you thought 'boulder dragging' might be happening here. I'm still thinking 'no', but might move to 'maybe' if any 'evidence' arrives. There's a lot of evidence in the image for sure, but I don't know where to start. But I'll say thanks to you for giving me an idea for another question that relates nicely to some of the stuff I'm thinking about. And in the unlikely event that my thinking produces an answer it'll maybe feed back here. I'll start off somewhere else so you can carry on here unhindered.

Wassock might have something to say about this image. There may well be 'evolution / degradation' here and he's into that at the minute, along with others. I've got channels easy enough and I can follow them about ok, but sometimes it looks like one side of the channel is continuous and the other side has been clawed by a fork, breaking the side into another channel. To my eye, these joinings/breakings create little round 'islands' along this broken side and they often mix with other islands.

So I think I'm being fooled into seeing 'boulder islands' standing on a surface, which to a certain extent I am. In turn (I'm making this up as I go along of course) my brain is telling me that boulders get lit up on one side and they cast shadow on the other. These boulder islands are doing the same, in my eye/brain.

Probably a good time to go and eat something. Hope some of that made sense, y'all.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Slugs - http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards/BPF0000002/discussions/DPF0000a4k

Posted