Planet Four Talk

Blue blob

• Jonfj by Jonfj

Anyone know what this strange blue blob is near the bottom right hand of the picture?

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Looks like a bad pixel/camera glitch #bluepixel

Posted

• BlueMoon58 by BlueMoon58

I downloaded this image to take a closer look, zoomed in on the blue object and I don't think it's a camera glitch.

I think it would be worthwhile taking an even close look if you have a higher resolution inage. It maybe a relection from a metal object such as the ESA Beagle 2. I understand it is thought to have crashed near the south pole so I wouldn't dismiss this simply as a camera glitch.

We have also seen this blue colour associated with Fans some have said iat may be CO2 that being the case this might be a #Small_Pool_CO2 ?

Posted

• Ian_Mason by Ian_Mason in response to BlueMoon58's comment.

I think it would be worthwhile taking an even close look if you have a
    higher resolution inage. It maybe a relection from a metal object such
    as the ESA Beagle 2. I understand it is thought to have crashed near
    the south pole so I wouldn't dismiss this simply as a camera glitch.

Hi Blue,

Having seen many similar to this, I think I'd go with it being a camera/pixel glitch, but I do also share your thoughts with regards to not dismissing these things, as I have seen a few features that I am fascinated by & would love to see looked into further.

Posted

• DannyU by DannyU

The problem with the images presented here is their use of the jpeg format, you'd need to look at the source images to be sure that these are single pixels (but they do look like it, the larger area affected looks like artefacts from the jpeg compression).

Posted

The point I was trying to make is if we simply dismiss this object as a camera glitch then every time we see something out of the norm it won't be logged and therefore something important could well be missed.

It doesn't matter what I or any one indvidual 'THINKS'

By saying its a glitch it then becomes a glitch and people will simply not take the time to record what they see.
    I have already read some threads where people say that they skip some images because there are too many objects to classify. Seems to me that defeats the whole purpose of what the folks a JPL are trying to do.

By saying it is an Interesting Feature worthy of further research then it becomes an Interesting Feature and one would hope someone would revisit the location at some point in the future and take a closer look using a higher resolution image. It may well turn out to be a glitch but if the image is never revisted then we will never know for sure. Reporting such oddities also inspires others to study these images more closely and to be more concientions in their reporting.

Posted

• simondavidheath by simondavidheath

Hi,
    I zoomed in on the blue pixel - and in the JPG it has more than one pixel and the gradient of blue colour may or may not be down to compression. Most of the pixels I've seen before are obvious glitches as they are flat single colour pixels. This blue is also very characteristic of frost etc. It could be anything, and we'll probably never know, but I don't think it is a random error. Anyway here's a blown up shot of the smudge - each black or white square represents a pixel in the image:
    Blue smudge

Posted

• DannyU by DannyU

yes it does seem to be (possibly two) bad pixels adjacent to each other - but I'm not suggesting that these objects should simply be dismissed out of hand

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster

It's a glitch. Load up in an image editing program and split to RGB. The dot won't be seen on the red channel (complementary colour to cyan).

Posted

JellyMonster I am not saying your wrong but that doesn't prove it's a glitch. A higher resoluition image might provide a better answer. Better to record the object and leave it to others to examine it in more detail. Let's not try to prejudge the issue. None of us knows what we are looking not even those with a Masters Degree in Sceince. It's all guess work for now.

Posted

• Wounded_Knee by Wounded_Knee

I might be missing something but looking at simondavidheaths image above I see it as a multiple feature of 8x8 pixels......wait a minute 8x8 pixels, 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, wish I knew more about coding, is it a 64 bit thingymebod thing that came down sideways from Mars 8)

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to Wounded Knee's comment.

I suspect a little sarcasm there!

Bluemooon58 - honestly, scientists wouldn't waste their time on it. If you want to look at something a bit more interesting than a blue dot, try 'Weird bridge feature', 'Space chimney' or 'Difficult to classify - in objects.

Posted

JellyMonster Your reading too much into this discussion. We have been invited here to record what we see nothing more. But since you raise the matter what makes you think your observations are better defined than others here? What makes you think your qualified to direct others into thinking "scientists wouldn't waste their time on it"

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to BlueMoon58's comment.

JellyMonster Your reading too much into this discussion.

Not at all. One scientist has already dismissed the blue pixel anomaly. We are all looking for new discoveries but I'm afraid this isn't one of them.

Posted

• rowbumby by rowbumby

another image with blue dot in top left APF0000tef

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to BlueMoon58's comment.

Hi BlueMoon58. When you say "We have been invited here to record what we see nothing more", I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Should I read it as 'we've been invited to do a 'job', let's do the job', or something more general like 'we all know why we're here and what's available, but some people are pushing the envelope too much?' (I'd have to admit to being guilty of that).

I'm interested because it kinda raises the question as to why any of us have come here - and that, to me, is an interesting question.

Posted

• rowbumby by rowbumby

It's a citizen science project designed to help planetary scientists identify and measure features on the surface of Mars.They need our help to find and mark ‘fans’ and ‘blotches’ on the Martian surface. Scientists believe that these features indicate wind direction and speed. By tracking ‘fans’ and ‘blotches’ over the course of several Martian years to see how they form, evolve, disappear and reform, we can help planetary scientists better understand Mars’ climate. Scientists also hope to find out if these features form in the same spot each year and also learn how they change.yes it would be great to find something out of the norm and its good people are talking about these things but its not what this project was set up for and maybe all of us are guilty of losing track of the main aim of this project ( I know i have )
    And the reason why we are all come here, well i cant anwser for any 1 else but i came here as i have always been interested in this sort of thing and was very intrigued by the hole image thing (majority of which have never been seen by human eyes before) and yes i now know this is a load of gibberish but even still, some of the images i have come across are breathtaking and thats what keeps me coming back. Its not a JOB @Kitharode none of us have been sent here, we all come here as volunteers to help scientists to better understand Mars climate and it will be the first large scale measurement of wind on the planet!

Posted

• AUricle by AUricle

.................(old record playing in the background)..............

...There's battle lines being drawn,................

...nobody's right,...... if everybody's wrong...........('For What It's Worth')-Steven Stills, Buffalo Springfield 1967

Posted

• Chocstar by Chocstar

Why are we here ? interesting. I'm here because I didn't manage to find a scientific/space job in UK after I graduated, so this fulfills that interest. Also it is a nice break to come here in between my work which has sporadic hours. Plus it's good to discover new things.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

All opinions and thoughts are welcome on Talk. We're glad you're all helping us with studying the surface of Mars whatever the reason you've come. Thanks for helping us.

Cheers,

~Meg

Posted

• BlueMoon58 by BlueMoon58 in response to Kitharode's comment.

Hi Kitharode

To answer your query

"Hi BlueMoon58. When you say "We have been invited here to record what we see nothing more", I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Should I read it as 'we've been invited to do a 'job', let's do the job', or something more general like 'we all know why we're here and what's available, but some people are pushing the envelope too much?' (I'd have to admit to being guilty of that).

I'm interested because it kinda raises the question as to why any of us have come here - and that, to me, is an interesting question."

The BBC invited members of the general public to volunteer their time to assist NASA Scientists Map Mars.

Why did I volunteer. Well I have always been curious about the unknown. I have been on this planet earth a long, long time and it has many unsolved secrets and mysteries. Stonehenge, Easter Island, The Pyramids to name but a few.

I have also been curious about early map making how objects are first plotted onto paper as reference points then lines are drawn to create contours then adding detail such as mountains, rivers and finally streets and houses.

In my lifetime I have watched the space programme develop from day one till the present. I have a background of Radio Communications I worked on early VHF, UHF and SHF radio communications.

I am a retired Laser Printer Engineer having worked for IBM and Xerox. I've witnessed the birth and developement of the Internet.

I was very excited, but It came as no great surprise to me when the first netmail packet was sent out into space with coded instructions to the recipient The Mariner Space Probe to change direction and head out into deep space. I have long had an interest in Computers and Computer Graphics so I am very familiar with digital photograpic images and the limitations of software applications for viewing such images.

I am naturally curious about what we might find on Mars. I am hopeful that something might be found to unlock some of the mysteries of the Earth's ancient past and civilizations.

The task the BBC invited the general public to do in this first phase of mapping Mars was to plot some reference points onto an image. Like those early map makers who headed out with a little stick, a ruler and protractor to mark out on paper some reference points. Later someone else will come along and fill in the detail.

Why are we here? Answer. To mark out some reference points. It may however help the Scientist's if we take the time to raise awareness of an interesting object, and initially this was why this thread was created.
    To say to the Science Team. Hey Guy's take a look at this.

I do however think it is wrong at this stage to be dismissive of any reporting of any unusual object whether it be a blob, little green man or a distorted pixel.

These images wonderful as they are, are not at a high enough resolution to determine what is on the surface of Mars. When you zoom in you don't see enough detail to determine what any object might be. All you see is a bunch of pixels. So I guess what I am saying is none of us AT THIS EARLY STAGE OF THE RESEARCH can say for sure if the Blue Blob is an object worthy of further examination or simply a bunch of distorted pixels. Lets just highlight it as an "Interesting Object" and move on.

I am not saying we shouldn't discuss what we see in these images, it may well be of some benefit to others to hear what we THINK we see in an image. Indeed it may well be of some benefit to the Scientist to know what WE SEE. ( It's very important to keep an open mind when carrying out research - Scientist's have been proven wrong many times in the past and will continune to be proven wrong in the future. Like us mere mortais we are all human arn't we ? But we certainly don't need anyone ( Scientist's Volunteer's or Little Green Mars Folks ) telling us it's a photograpic/pixel glitch, that serves no purpose, all that does is to turn folks off from reporting any unusual objects.

Self appointed experts saying things like "scientists wouldn't waste their time on it" are doing more damage to the success of this research project than they might realise. Volunteers will eventually loose interest and drift away. Much better to say to folks, hey thats a great observation thank you for bringing this to our attention we will record its location for further detailed examination at some point in the future.

I hope this goes some way to answering your questions.

Now on a final note.. I don't have a great deal of time left to live, maybe another twenty or forty years if I am really lucky, the precious time I have spent discussing this topic is time lost from my life. That's time I will never get back, it could have been better spent classifying images of Mars or making a nice cup of tea. We have choices we can go on discussing this if you like or we could spent what valuable time we both have mapping more images to help future generations find answers to the questions humankind has asked themselves since the beginning of time.

Lets take the best option for our own particular needs and not get drawn in or distractied by those who seek to divert our attention away from the task at hand.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator in response to BlueMoon58's comment.

Hi BlueMoon58. Thanks for a wonderful reply. Having almost reached my 64th birthday I'm guessing we're not too far apart agewise, so yes, another 20-30yrs might be the best we can hope for. Having said that, I've already crammed in about 90yrs of life already so I'll probably be ready when my time is up!

Thanks for your open, honest, and well presented reply. I knew it was an interesting question. I do hope, however, that when you next take a break for a 'nice cup of tea' you'll perhaps get the feeling that your discussions here are more 'a part of your life' rather than 'time taken out of your life'. 😉

Good Luck and Best Wishes to you also.

Posted

• rowbumby by rowbumby

Found another blue dot APF00002kh also a white dot APF0000vne APF0000vnf APF0000vnd 😉

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to BlueMoon58's comment.

The main task at hand was to mark fans, blotches and interesting features. If you decide to make up a post on the 'blue blob' anomaly, expect to get a mix of opinions. If you can't cope with what others might have to say about it, then just mark it as an interesting feature.

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

It appears to me that the 'blue blobs' in each image presented so far are isolated features in that area, but images showing a 'white dot' always have two or more 'dots' in the same area. Just an observation...

Posted