Planet Four Talk

Help if there are any other Mac users or advice on how I can use the site better

• buzzybeeinstars by buzzybeeinstars

I have no ids on the images. I mark images and would like to commment on why I have marked interesting features. Sometimes I get into this kind of discussion box when i click on the discuss button and sometimes not. Once when I tried to discuss, the image I had been working on came up with an id and comment box. This only happened once. I do not know whether any of my comments have come through to you with a reference to this images I am marking or not. I have a Mac computer and I have no right and left click. I have a track pad with just click. Is my work any use to you or should I just leave it to those with PC.

Posted

• jshoe by jshoe

Buzzy- Have you had any more success or, at least, guidance about using Macs on this project? I have similar frustrations with my own Mac, but have made a little progress on image processing. Still have no clue how to get around this discussion site easily.
    I thought that one of the science team (Meg?) referred to having a Mac also. I have asked for a general instruction "book" explaining the overall structure of the site , and how to get around - but have no replies that I have been able to find. They may be out there, but I do not know how to find them without wasting a lot of time trying to sleuth out the site. I think there is a group that are used to this whole project and guide each other around , but their comments are usually way above my head.

I am willing to share what I have found, but I am not sure that my scientific discussion comments are going anywhere - or how to follow them other than clicking the Follow button which leads no where as far as I can tell.

I hope that someone on the science team will take pity on us new volunteers and point us toward a guide to getting around without wasting more precious time. Thanks, Jshoe

Posted

• Kitharode by Kitharode moderator

Hi Guys. Sorry I can't help you with your specific problems regarding Mac's, but I'll see if I can stir up some feedback on the subject. Are there any general site questions we might deal with now? Cheers.

Posted

• JellyMonster by JellyMonster in response to jshoe's comment.

If you click on 'Following' in the black title bar at the top, you should find all the posts that you have followed.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator in response to jshoe's comment.

Jshoe. Also at the top on the right you will find Profile which will take you to a page where you can find most things that you have touched. But I think you can only get back to the images that you commented on or hash tagged immediatly after Marking them. There's also a list of all the posts you've made on the discussion threads. The system won't tell you when you get a reply to s question you be asked, you need to check back. At the moment you should be able to find your place easily but when its busy use the follow option to track back.

Posted

• wassock by wassock moderator

Jshoe you seem to be making most of your comments in the little box that comes up after you mark. I think that's intended as a way of flagging something of interest to the science team for later. If you look to right of that there are options to start a discussion, if you make your comments there then they will be easy for all to see, comments attached to the images don't get seen by all

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

Hi,

The site works in the browser so it works the same whether you are on a windows PC or Mac. We don't show ids on the images as you review them. The reason for that is that you could google what cutout we are showing you and might be swayed by other people's comments about the image. So that's why there's no id on the main classification page.

When you hit finished in the classification interface you have two options hit next or discuss. Discuss takes you to Talk which is (part of where this discussion is). There's a few ways to make posts on Talk.

When you hit the discuss button on the main classification it takes you to the object page for the image. You've probably seen it before. It looks like this http://talk.planetfour.org/#/subjects/APF0000vlc
    From here, on the left you can make a 140 character comment (I suspect that is where you've been commenting. At the moment those are bit harder for the rest of the community to see).

On the right as Wassock pointed out you can make a discussion in science, help, or chat, and follow the conversation so you get notified when someone posts a response. Those discussions get collected into a subboards on our discussion boards.

The discussion boards are more like a traditional form style, when you start a thread, and people and comment on and on. You can find the discussion boards by clicking on the top where it says discussion boards or by going here http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards.

The discussion boards are divided into 3 categories, help, science, and chat. And each one of those have subboards where discussion threads will be posted. You'll notice that help, science, and chat each have an Objects subboard. That's where those discussion made on the objects page (http://talk.planetfour.org/#/subjects/APF0000vlc - on the right) get collected. You can also make discussions in any other subboards like in the Frequency Asked Questions board http://talk.planetfour.org/#/boards/BPF0000005

I hope this helps,
    ~Meg

Posted