Planet Four Talk

How to be useful

• Edits_and by Edits_and

I am finding something interesting in every pic and I am worried that this will render my classifying a bit useless. Why is there so much colour variation -can you explain the basic colours seen, I seem to have observed lots of blue/green and parallel stripes and it would be helpful to be able to discount it rather than marking all of it interesting.

Posted

• mschwamb by mschwamb scientist, translator

The color images are combinations of several filters, so if you see just a green stripe that likely means that there is data missing in the other filters for some reason. The images do have lots of interesting things in them. Mars is an extraordinary place to explore. Just be helping in the main classification interface you're helping us out. so if you see those dark fans and blotches do mark them.

Those ridges are channels in the soil that are sculpted by carbon dioxide gas. These veins in the images are what we call "spiders" or araneiform . We're looking at the south pole of Mars where is an ice sheet of carbon dioxide on the surface. In the spring/ summer when the sun come up the sun heats the base of the ice sheet the ice sublimates on the bottom creating carbon dioxide gas that carves these channels or spider-like features. If the gas can exploit through cracks in the ice sheet the gas escapes into the atmosphere bringing along dust and dirt to the surface that we think get blown by surface binds into the beautiful fans we ask to mark or if no wind the blotches we ask you to map.

Cheers, ~Meg

Posted